The appraisal is carried out by a professional appraiser, usually one experienced in valuing real estate in the area. He uses comparisons, sometimes called comps as the basis for the estimate. The comps give him recent purchase prices of similar properties in the area. He then applies standard adjustments for differences like square footage, number of bathrooms, etc., to arrive at an official appraised value.
The appraised value can be a critical factor in determining how much can be borrowed on a property. If the sales price is far higher than the appraised value, the mortgage loan may not be approved.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- American Airlines Gets a Windfall Today but Competition Tomorrow
- How to Get Rich Off Real Estate Like Warren Buffett
- How ExxonMobil Corp. Could Be Affected by Russia's Move Into Ukraine
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation Raises Capital Spending to as Much as $8.5 Billion in 2014
- SandRidge Energy Inc. Just Keeps Getting Better
- A Closer Look at SandRidge Energy?s Fourth-Quarter Results