The appraisal is carried out by a professional appraiser, usually one experienced in valuing real estate in the area. He uses comparisons, sometimes called comps as the basis for the estimate. The comps give him recent purchase prices of similar properties in the area. He then applies standard adjustments for differences like square footage, number of bathrooms, etc., to arrive at an official appraised value.
The appraised value can be a critical factor in determining how much can be borrowed on a property. If the sales price is far higher than the appraised value, the mortgage loan may not be approved.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- David Einhorn?s Super-Cheap Top Stock Pick for 2015
- Energy Investing 101: Seeking Out the Best Oil Services Stocks
- What Are VA Loans?
- 5 Best Loans for People With Poor Credit
- The Biggest Mergers and Acquisitions in Industrials
- Tax Deductions for Charitable Contributions: What Qualifies and How Much Should You Claim?