Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Will This Startup "Put a Bullet" in Google Inc.'s Head?
- Would This Move From Amazon.com Get You to Buy a Fire Phone or Kindle Fire?
- Can Google Inc. Flank Facebook Inc. In This $90 Billion Market?
- Microsoft Corporation Moves to Conquer the Cloud with Azure App Service
- Apple Inc.?s A9 and the Supply Chain Game
- Google, Inc's Real Plan For Fiber Just Became Clear