Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Microsoft Corporation Launches a Dumbphone That Costs More Than a Smartphone
- Does Apple Inc. Truly Face a ?Virtual Reality Risk??
- Is Amazon, Inc. Reversing Course and Building an Apple TV App?
- Alphabet Inc. Should Fear Windows 10
- Don't Take IDC's Smartwatch Predictions Too Seriously
- GoPro Inc's Biggest Shareholder Sells 30% of Its Stake