Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why the iPhone 6 Will Conquer America
- 2 Reasons Activision Blizzard Investors Should Ignore the Destiny Debacle
- Is the Spotify IPO Right for You?
- 3 Big Reasons Apple Pay Can Succeed Where Google Wallet Failed
- Why the Waterproof Butterfly 2 and ?ReCamera? Won?t Save HTC
- Why Microsoft Must Launch Cortana For iOS and Android