Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Microsoft's Windows 10 Strategy Is Off to a Great Start
- Apple and Cisco Partner Up for Enterprise Growth
- Microsoft Just Copied One of Google's Most Exciting New Android Features
- Google Challenges Apple Watch With Android Wear for iOS
- Amazon Could Be Working on These 6 New Devices
- Ford Motor Company Stands Tall Amid Rougher August Sales Data