Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Is Amazon's Fire Phone Doomed Even Before It Launches?
- Understanding Why the iPhone 6 Will Dominate
- Google Chrome Steals the Spotlight From Internet Explorer
- Why NQ Mobile, Inc. Stock Popped Today
- The Real Reason Samsung Is Developing Its Nascent Tizen OS
- Apple and Google Change Could Destroy Zynga and King