Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Takeaways From Gartner?s Q3 Mobile Phone Sales Report
- Now Is the Right Time to Buy Google Stock: Here Is Why
- Amazon's Hardware Can Beat Apple and Google in One Major Market
- BlackBerry Is Pushing Microsoft Out of This $14 Billion Market
- Why Nokia Corporation Could Surprise in 2015
- Mobile Tech: Why Samsung Can Survive Without Google Android