Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- BlackBerry's Suing Ryan Seacrest's Company: But Does it Matter?
- Why Won?t Microsoft Corporation Merge Windows RT With Windows Phone?
- Microsoft?s Windows Phone Strategy Makes No Sense
- Can Microsoft?s Miracast Dongle Compete Against Google's Chromecast?
- How Apple and Google Could Double Their App Store Revenues
- Why This iPhone 6 Rumor Makes Perfect Sense