Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Apple, Inc. Stock Could Deliver Big Gains in 2016. Here's Why.
- The 3 Best Tech Stocks to Own Today
- Alphabet Inc's New Google Glass Is Bound to Be Another Flop
- The Week Ahead: Goldman Sachs Gathers Financials Together, Consumer Credit
- Microsoft Corporation and Intel Corporation Find a New Best Friend in China
- Samsung Could Make a Big Change to the Galaxy S7