Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Does Google Inc. Think Wireless Data Should Come a la Carte? What a Leaked Bit of Info Might Tell Us
- The 3 Best Stocks to Invest in Gaming
- Microsoft Corporation: Could Bing Finally Be a Real Challenger to Google Inc?
- Is Europe Picking on Google?
- 3 Best Stocks for Investing in Smartwatches
- 3 Low-Risk Tech Stocks for Retirees