Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- This Latest Move Proves Google Fiber Is Here to Stay
- 3 Ways Microsoft Corporation Can Hit A Homerun With Windows 9
- Will HTC's ?Me Too? Smartwatch Be Too Little, Too Late?
- Will Google Android Apps On Chromebooks Devastate Windows Laptops?
- Is Sony Falling Apart Before Our Eyes?
- Here's How Fossil Can Survive the Apple Watch