Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Hidden in Kantar Worldpanel?s Report, a Worrying Sign for Samsung
- Don't Believe the Hype: Microsoft Corporation Is Not Ditching Devices
- 4 Things Satya Nadella Plans for the Future of Microsoft
- Google, Inc. Takes Aim at the Internet of Things, Again
- Did LG Solve Apple Watch?s Biggest Problem?
- Intel Corporation's Braswell Looks Like a Mixed Bag