Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- This Dividend Stock?s 13% Plunge After Earnings Is Ridiculous
- Google, Inc.'s Worst Nightmare Is Coming True
- 2 Upcoming Moves That Could Revitalize Apple Inc.'s iPad Business
- 1 Awesome Way Apple Inc. Is Building Customer Loyalty
- Google, Inc. Is About to Get Its Answer to Apple, Inc.'s Watch Edition
- Is Intel Corporation Going to Power the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2?