Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Samsung Galaxy S6 Looks Like a Winner
- 3 Stocks I Would Avoid At All Costs
- Is the Failure of Android Wear a Dire Warning for Apple Watch?
- Samsung and Google Inc Open Their Wallets to Compete with Apple Pay
- Apple Watch Better Be More iPhone Than iPad
- Should Apple, Inc. Be Scared Of Xiaomi's U.S. Plans?