Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Reasons Why Apple Watch Needs to Be a Hit
- Is BlackBerry Ltd CEO John Chen Grasping at Straws With "App Neutrality"?
- The Worst Mistake Microsoft Corporation Investors Can Make Right Now
- Why Google Inc. Investors Should Pay Attention to Microsoft's New OS
- 1 Reason Apple Inc.?s Low Smartphone Market Share Benefits Chip Suppliers
- Microsoft Corporation Stock Slips Post Earnings: Bargain or Bull Trap?