Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Samsung Facing Hard Truth as Samsung Galaxy S5 Sales Reportedly Badly Miss Expectations
- Here's My Favorite Stock for 2015
- Nokia?s N1 vs. Google?s Nexus 9: The Battle of the Flagship Android Tablets
- Will Microsoft Stock Head Higher Or Lower In 2015?
- Qihoo 360 Technology Co Ltd Earnings: How It Beat Expectations and What to Expect Going Forward
- 1 Way the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Beats the Apple Inc. iPhone 6 Plus