Adam Smith (1723-1790) is the Scottish-born "father of economics."
Smith deals with the free market system and the resulting system of goods, services and prices. His magnum opus was The Wealth of Nations, wherein is found Smith's theory of the invisible hand that guides individuals working in their own interest to improve society as a whole, even though that is not their intention.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Beyond Oil Prices: 3 Oil Stocks With Bright Futures
- Lockheed Martin's New Laser Gun: 1; Toasted Truck: 0
- Is Boeing Cheating on Its $8.7 Billion Tax Deal With Washington?
- Is This What Finally Kills the A-10 Thunderbolt Warthog?
- Could Boston Beer Co. Inc. Start Serving Up Lemonade?
- 3 Industrials Stocks We Love to Hate