Adam Smith (1723-1790) is the Scottish-born "father of economics."
Smith deals with the free market system and the resulting system of goods, services and prices. His magnum opus was The Wealth of Nations, wherein is found Smith's theory of the invisible hand that guides individuals working in their own interest to improve society as a whole, even though that is not their intention.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Cord Cutting, Cord Shaving, and Cable Gaming: How Consumers Save Money on Their Cable Bills
- People Are Really Bad at Estimating Their TV Habits
- How Do You Compare With the Average American?
- 5 Things FedEx Management Wants You to Know
- Beyond Oil Prices: 3 Oil Stocks With Bright Futures
- Lockheed Martin's New Laser Gun: 1; Toasted Truck: 0