Adam Smith (1723-1790) is the Scottish-born "father of economics."
Smith deals with the free market system and the resulting system of goods, services and prices. His magnum opus was The Wealth of Nations, wherein is found Smith's theory of the invisible hand that guides individuals working in their own interest to improve society as a whole, even though that is not their intention.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Peculiar Habits of Incredibly Successful People
- Is This the Best Oil Service Growth Stock in America?
- Anthony Cumia Fired: Is This the Beginning of the End for SiriusXM?
- Why Staples Stock Has Plummeted 30% This Year
- What's the Best Way to Play the World's Largest Shale Gas Boom?
- Office Depot, Inc. Just Soared 16%, but It Could Go Much Higher