3D printing is a process for the production of physical objects usually by directing a laser to fuse a plastic powder one micro-layer at a time. The method can be used to create prototypes from CAD software. Custom designed figurines or sculptures are possible. Numerous other applications are under development.
Quillnpenn provided a list of references as follows-- 
Motley Fool has a tag archive on the subject-- 
Quillnpenn lists players as--
Stock Ticker PE $/sh Notes
Stratasys, Inc. SSYS 76 42 3D printers, prototyping systems
3D Systems Corp. DDD 69 30 3D printers
Autodesk, Inc. ADSK 28 15 3D software
Organovo Holdings, Inc. ONVO NA NA 3D human tissue printing
MAKO Surgical Corp. MAKO NA NA Robotic arm solutions
Dassault Systèmes SA DASTY 31 NA SolidWorks 3D CAD program
Parametric Technology PMTC 31 13 Product Design software solutions
3DIcon Corporation TDCP NA NA Optical holographic technologies
Trimble TRMB 37 16 3D modeling package
Siemens SI 16 12 Solid Edge 3D software, NX CAM software
"At least seven 3D printer companies are exhibiting at CES [the Consumer Electronics Show in Jan, 2013 in Las Vegas], including 3D Systems (DDD), Stratasys (SSYS), MakerBot Industries and Formlabs." Read More At IBD: []
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "3D Printing" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why voxeljet, Walter Energy, and Dangdang Tumbled Today
- Positive Trends Will Limit the Damage for Caterpillar Inc.
- Baltic Trading Limited Shared This With Investors So Why Didn't DryShips?
- Why the Metals 3-D Printing Space Is the Place to Be in 2014
- Weekend Box Office: ?300? Sequel Reigns; ?Peabody & Sherman? a Solid Second
- Monday's Top News Headlines